Our History

A Brief History of the AGC

The AGC traces its beginnings to the early 1890s when a group of independent evangelical churches became known as the Christian Workers' Church of Canada, under a charter granted to Dr. P .W . Philpott, pastor of the Gospel Tabernacle in Hamilton, ON. These churches were concerned about the growth of theological liberalism and in 1922 felt the need to unite with others who practised a simple biblical faith. In 1925, because other groups with contrasting doctrine and practice were using similar names, a new charter under the name of Associated Gospel Churches was secured from the Canadian government. 

The need for a strong evangelical church association was evident from the number of independent churches and missions which joined the AGC in the years that followed. Although some early AGC churches sent out workers to begin new Sunday Schools, a more aggressive church extension program did not come about until later. In 1940, a group of western churches sought affiliation with the AGC and became the basis of what is now known as the Canada West Region. The Quebec charter was registered by our English ministry in 1944. With the new openness of the French population in Quebec, the AGC and UFM International mission (now CrossWorld) joined hands to begin a French work in Quebec in 1972. 

A major restructuring of the AGC took place in 1989, to meet the needs of a widespread and diverse nation, of a changing society and of a growing group of churches, while still being true to our commitment to our historic distinctives. The changes grew out of an explicit Statement of Purpose and Objectives contained in this Constitution. In 2002 a further redefinition of our Purpose, Vision and Values was undertaken. There was also a re-alignment of regions requiring a restructuring. 

Our Logo

Colour logo smallThe gospel is the central element in the AGC's name and purpose.  The icon points strongly upwards reflecting the very intent of the church steeple.  We are an association of churches, which is depicted by the layering of the three shapes.  The three sided shapes echo the nature of God.